Fordham church dates back to 1087, when it was recorded as a gift from William the Conqueror to the Abbey of Bec in Normandy. The nave probably dates from this time.
The church was largely re-built in the early 14th century at the time when Decorated was evolving into Perpendicular style. The aisles were constructed, the porch and tower built and the chancel rebuilt. In 1549 the wall were whitened and some stained glass removed. A restoration was completed in 1861 when the windows were re-glazed, the floor tiled and the pews replaced. None of the doors are original.
In 2010 the church was re-ordered, with the organ and pews being removed to make more seating space, and an upstairs gallery added.